Someone asked about storing herbs. This is an easy one for me, and the only one I know about! I dehydrate them, then seal in an airtight bag. (food saver type of bag)
I bought a bucket from a bakery for 1.00 and I will begin to use it as storage for the food saver items I have done. Where would I get mylor bags?
In case you haven’t noticed, I’m new to this. (1 year) I have learned about a thimble’s worth of things in that time. I learned how to:
1.Grow garlic. I had 2 bulbs from last year that I planted and they grew. I used them this year to harvest next year. I got 21 plants out of the 2 bulbs. I felt successful – so far.
2. Grow herbs. Parsley, oregano, mint, chives. Dill did not do well, but i saved the seeds for next year. Next year I’ll add basil and lots of parsley.
3. Tomatoes. I planted 25 seedlings last year of heirloom romas. Three lived! I froze the fruit (4 bags) and made jam (7 jars) and saved seeds. Imagine my excitment when the seeds produced plants this year. This year the 12 plants thrived and I have 12 bags (24 meals) and 8 jam and lots for eating.
4. All of the cukes did not do well this year. Last year I got one batch of bread and butters. Guess I didn’t need that dill after all.
5. Spinach crop was delightful and I have more growing now.
6. I do know how to can, so I feel lucky in that area. ( water bath)
So much to learn. So little time.
5. I only got 2 peppers from 2 plants. (sad)
This is as far as I’ve gotten.