After you’ve finished your roast chicken or turkey, don’t toss the bones! You can create more delicious meals from them.
Chicken and Dumplings
- Chicken bones
- Other favorite seasonings
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup butter, lard or shortening
- 1/2 cup cold water
- To make stock place chicken bones in a crock pot, fill with water and turn on low over night. If you don’t have a crock pot use a stock pot and simmer all day.
- Strain out bones, set broth in the fridge to cool over night. The fat will rise to the top and form a hard white layer. Skim this off.
- Bring the stock back to a boil and add chopped carrots, potatoes, meat and any other veggies you like.
- Add salt, pepper, garlic and other seasonings to taste.
- Mix the dry together, cut in butter.
- Add water, stir until it just sticks together.
- Mix up dumpling recipe and drop on top of the soup. Cover and simmer for 15 min.