One of my hubby’s favorite suppers is Sheppard’s pie. I’ve experimented with different variations over the years. So far this is our favorite. I made this for supper yesterday, all the ingredients except the beef were from our gardens last summer. The beef is from a local farmer. I love having home canned foods on hand to make cooking go quicker!
A note on the recipe below. The spice measurements are approximate, by “eyeball”. I rarely measure spices when I’m cooking. Before serving simply adjust the spices to suit your family’s taste.
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion
- 1 quart crushed tomatoes
- 1 pint (2 cups) peas
- 1 tps salt
- 1 heaping TBS parsley
- 1 heaping TBS basil
- 1 heaping TBS garlic powder
- 1/2 TBS pepper
- mashed potatoes
- Fry ground beef until browned. Add onions and cook until meat is done and onions start to soften.
- Add tomato sauce, spices and peas. Bring to a boil and cook 10 minutes.
- Spread meat mixture into a baking pan and top with mashed potatoes.
- If desired sprinkle with shredded cheddar cheese and parsley.
- Bake at 350F for 30 minutes or until the top starts to crisp.