Pickled beets are one of my favorites! This recipe is a staple in my kitchen. I hope you enjoy!
- 30 beets (aprox)
- 2/3 cups water
- 4 cups sugar
- 4 cups vinegar
- 1/2 tsp pickling salt
- 1/2 a cinnamon stick
- 4 whole cloves
- 2 allspice berries
- Wash beets and cut tops off leaving 1 inch of stem on.
- Place in a large pot and cover with water. Boil until tender.
- Drain and let cool until comfortable enough to handle. Slip stem and skins off.
- Slice into 1/4 inch rounds, or leave whole if small.
- Add salt, cloves, berries and cinnamon to each jar. Add sliced beets.
- Combine water, sugar and vinegar and bring to a boil.
- Pour over beets, leaving 1/2 inch head space.
- Release air bubble, wipe rims, add lids and process in a water bath canner for 30 min for pints 35 min for quarts.
- Let sit for 6 weeks for flavor to fully absorbed.