When I was a little girl our family often made a braided apple bread. It was one of my favorite treats I looked forward to each winter! Unfortunately I don’t have our family recipe and so I’ve been trying to recreate it. This recipe uses the dinner roll recipe I posted the other day. But you could also use your favorite bread recipe or my basic bread.
While this isn’t quite what I remember from childhood, it’s wonderful! I had to hide the last piece so hubby would be able to try some. lol We’ll be making this often over the winter.
- 5 Apples pealed and sliced
- 1/2 Cup sugar
- 2 Tsp cinnamon
- 1 Cup Warm water
- 3 Tbs Sugar
- 3 Tsp Yeast
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tbs Butter
- 1 Egg
- 3 to 3 1/4 Cups All Purpose Flour
- Peal and slice apples.
- Mix with sugar and cinnamon.
- Pour into a baking dish and bake at 350F for 10 to 15 min.
- Combine all dough ingredients in the order specified by your manual. Select the dough setting. Then continue at step 10.
- Combine warm water, sugar and yeast in a bowl. Let sit for 10 min.
- Stir in butter, salt and egg.
- Stir in flour.
- Kneed for 10 minutes.
- Cover and let rise until doubled in size.
- Roll our dough into a square and cut 1 inch slices from the sides.
- Pour apple filling in the middle.
- Fold the top of the dough in and fold sliced dough strips over each other to braid.
- Transfer to a baking sheet and bake at 350F for 25 minutes.